Site Map

Thursday, February 11, 2016

Laura's Legacy Chapter 1.20: Friends and Lovers

 
 
Things finally began to settle into something of a routine. Pat would come to visit at least several times a week; I was so glad that he wanted to spend time with Meadow. We were a little awkward with each other - so polite and so careful not to say anything too personal or touch each other in any way. I really hoped that this was going to get less painful as time went on, but sometimes I wasn't sure.
 
 
 
 
But Pat was a good person, I had known that about him from the start and it was one of the things that I loved about him. So I wasn't really surprised that he visited Meadow regularly and made sure we had anything we needed.
 
 
It wasn't always easy; I still loved him and I knew he loved me. But I just couldn't continue on the way things had been going, and I was very grateful that Pat respected my wishes and didn't try to romance me. Because the truth was that I wasn't all that confident about how strong I would be if he did.
 
 
 
 
Things were advancing nicely in my career as well. I had landed an important role in a television drama where I got to play a scientist. "Gosh, do I ever love this job!", I thought as I rushed to work each day, eager to play this part.
 
 
 
But it's wasn't always convenient, this star thing. My privacy was often interrupted whether I was out doing something with a friend, on a date with Jake, or just stopping by the convenience store.
 
 
 
 
Speaking of Jake, things were going wonderfully and we continued to see each other. I felt I was falling more and more in love with him everyday. "My oh my, I do seem to fall for dark-haired men with green eyes", I sighed to myself romantically. "I think he and I would make pretty babies."
 
 
 
One day when Jake and I were on a date together, he took me by surprise when he took my hands, looked at me with a serious expression and asked; "Laura, I know that you and Pat were lovers and that Meadow is his daughter. But I need to know, are you still seeing him?"
 
I smiled and touched his cheek. This conversation was probably overdue, so I figured I might as well get things out in the open and hope beyond hope that he'd be OK with it. "If you mean are we romantically involved now, the answer is no. But...Pat and I will always be very close and he'll be a big part of my and Meadow's life. We want to raise her together." I looked at Jake and took a
deep breath. "I hope that's something that you can accept and live with because...Jake, I love you."
 
 
To my great relief, he smiled the most radiant smile. Then he said, "And I love you", and he kissed me. I hadn't felt this happy in a long time.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment